11.16.2011

Truly Amazing Thailand....


I was lucky enough to see Thailand prior to the floods and all I can say is that "amazing" is an understatement.


 My first stop is at Bangkok. It was colorful and I'm sure that any visitor wouldn't miss the abundance of culture.


Walking around the city, I couldn't help but notice how religious the Thais are. Most buildings, even the new ones, have altars of the Buddha with candles, fruits, food and toys as offerrings. People who pass by would bow and stop a moment to pray in silence. I found it admirable since it was all new to me - we don't get to see something like that here in the Philippines. Their religiousness, if not craftsmanship, is likewise manifested in the various temples built all over the city. I felt the devotion and zealousness of the people who built those temples by just looking at the structures.





During my first day, I visited several temples. I could not recall the exact names of those temples and I'm guessing it's because I had a temple overdose for that day.  There was, however, one place which captivated me....

 The Grand Palace.  

The Grand Palace is the home and court of Thailand's Kings and the whole seat of its administrative government for 150 years.

Admission to the Grand Palace is strict as with all other buddhist temples (i'm referring to the dress code) and it is definitely not cheap ( at least to me who is always on a tight budget) but I tell you... IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT. They wouldn't name it the Grand Palace for nothing =D.

One of the many buildings inside The Grand Palace is the Wat Prah Kaew or the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. It houses Thailand's most revered statue of the Buddha.

I could not find the right words to describe what's inside. It's just too bad that tourists are not allowed to take pictures inside. All I can say is that the altar  with all its intricate details was just so magnificent. It was magical,  literally gleaming in all its splendor. I am no Buddhist but as soon as I entered the temple, I found peace.



 For some reason I am not aware of, all external noise was blocked and there was total silence in my heart and in my mind. I just knelt down  and thanked God for giving me my eyes as well as the chance to see the beauty laid before my eyes.




















 


No comments:

Post a Comment